Commanding Officer's Log, Stardate: 140512

Location: SS Astraios

This morning's breakfast meeting with Senior Officers did not go as well as some others. Oh, I suppose it was alright but I found myself in disagreement with LTcmdr Bradford over Colony security. To wit: she proposes that a large fence of stone or wire be built around the Colony proper, and equipped with sensors to detect any nearby movement. I understood all her reasons for suggesting this as a way of protecting the Academy, Majel Community Hospital, our shipyards, etc. And she is right, in a way. It would make things easier to build a wall to keep everyone out and avoid any possible trouble. But she forgets something very important: a wall built to keep people out also fences them in. Not only physically, but in other ways as well. Most especially, it causes a separation in the population that I would be loathe to establish.

Maybe it's my experiences of the past, and my dislike of feeling hemmed in within walls. But I think it's more than that. I feel that we must keep our Colony and infrastructure open to the world. We can scan, use sensor alarms, have eagle-eyed teams on the ground, etc. When we start closing ourselves in, we close out the world around us. We isolate ourselves. For the sake of community, for the sake of tolerance and transparency, even if we run the risk of sabotage or more, it is vital we invite people in. That's what open borders are, in space, and in the outposts which we are invited to establish by various species throughout the galaxy. We must trust, knowing that trust will be broken by some, but accepting that as part of our way of being in the world, and part of what it means to be who we are... Starfleet.