Colony Commander's Log, Stardate: 141119

Location: Astraios Colony

How I am beginning to detest politics. Before Astraios, my only connection with politics was reading about it in various reports, or in history classes at the Academy. But now...

If politics and diplomacy wasn't enough, I also have to deal with the planetary news media, which is becoming more and more Terran-like in its voracious appetite for death, destruction, warp speed chases, and accusations of wrong doing.

It begins to feel like I need a whole team of communications experts to put the correct 'spin' on information being given to the public. Oh, how I hate that. Why can't we just be honest and trust each other to be so.

Ah, well, I guess it all goes with the job. I rather miss being on the bridge of my ship, exploring the cosmos, scanning strange anomalies, and going where - as far as we know - 'no one has gone before'.

I am immensely proud of all we have accomplished here.

But I admit it worries me that we seem to have morphed from an organization involved in exploration of space to... warriors. Which goes back to politics, because I believe we have to be extremely careful in choosing our fights, and in asking Starfleet members to risk their lives on the behalf of the Federation. Especially in this climate of hostility and friction, it can be easy to put our ideals on the back burner when they are inconvenient. We must always place them first, no matter how difficult.

It would be easy, for example, to whip up hostility towards Klingons in general and continue to hound the Pegh until they are forced to leave Astraios and Treman for good. Very easy.

Too easy.

Starfleet Directive 010: "Before engaging alien species in battle, any and all attempts to make first contact and achieve nonmilitary resolution must be made."